Avondale is an independent Baptist church. It began with four families who moved from Hodge, Missouri to Avondale, Missouri. In 1932, Rev. Alfred Spain became the first pastor; serving for twenty-nine years, with Dr. G. Christian Weiss serving as interim pastor for one year of that period.
When Brother Spain retired, he was succeeded by Rev. Olen N. Baxter, who began his ministry here October 1, 1965 and served as Senior Pastor until his retirement in 1995.
Rev. W. Nathan Baxter (nephew of Olen) served as the next Senior Pastor from October 1995 until February, 2002.
From February, 2002 until June of 2003, the deacon board filled the pulpit with various ministers and missionaries. A search of committee was formed and after months of of seeking God’s direction, Pastor Jerry Breese was called as the pastor and began serving on June 1, 2003.
The church is governed by a Board of Deacons together with the Senior Pastor. They oversee the spiritual welfare of the congregation and supervise the upkeep of properties and financial matters of the church according to the church constitution. Financial decisions on all matters of importance are brought before the congregation for a majority vote. The church is entirely debt free.
Our purpose is to bring glory to God by joining Him in making and developing people into fully devoted followers of Christ.